How to be a decent human at work
When Elias Torres and I founded Drift, we sat down and talked about our vision and the things we would, and would not, tolerate at the company. That list became what is now known as the Drift Leadership Principles. They’re central to the company – and guide how we treat each other and our customers.
As we continue to grow, we need to continue to live by these principles – and we need to do our part to maintain a culture of inclusion, respect, and trust.
So, I wanted to share a list that someone (who wanted to remain anonymous) sent me the other day about how to be a decent human at work – and how to continue to build a culture we all want to be a part of:
- Give credit where credit is due
- Don’t be an asshole
- Treat everyone as if they were your family/closest friend/partner
- Practice gratitude
- Always remember you don’t know what someone else is going through
- In times of chaos practice patience
- Help someone out, don’t push them down
- Hold a door
- Concentrate on your job and less on what you believe someone else is or isn’t doing
- Always remember, hard work pays off
- Get to know someone before you pass judgment
- Don’t talk shit
- Remember open and honest communication is always the best route when dealing with any issue
What else would you add?