Set up exclusion criteria in email flows
1. Create a new segment in your email platform's Lists & segments or Data tab.
Give your segment a name that describes the criteria you will use to exclude users. For example, if the segment will exclude EU users, call it EU Exclusion.
2. Click the Condition or Criteria option and select from the list of conditions to start building your exclusion segment.
The labels will vary between platforms, but they will include options like: What someone has or has not done, Location and properties about someone, If someone is or is not on a list, Is or is not subscribed, is or is not present in a list or segment. For example, if you want to exclude all users in the EU, choose the starting condition Location. Or if you want to exclude all purchasers, select the what someone has or has not done condition.
3. Select or enter a value for the condition you chose.
For example, if you chose what someone has or has not done, you might select clicked on a link, opened an email, placed an order, or subscribed to a list. Exactly what values are available will depend on your email platform. Refer to your platform’s documentation for details.
4. Select a polarity - yes/no, has/hasn't, is/isn't - and time frame for the condition you chose.
For example, if you want to exclude anyone who’s purchased in the last 30 days, set: Condition: What someone has or has not done Value: Purchased product Polarity: Has performed action Time frame: Last 30 days If you want to exclude anyone who hasn’t made a purchase in the previous year, set: Condition: What someone has or has not done Value: Purchased product Polarity: Has not performed action Time frame: Last year
5. If your exclusion segment needs multiple criteria, add a new condition by selecting AND or OR.
AND: a user will need to satisfy both conditions to be added to the segment. OR: a user only needs to satisfy one condition to be added to the segment. You may add as many conditions as you like. Pay close attention to the AND/OR option as they will yield quite different results. For example, if you want to create a segment with all purchasers from the EU your segment logic would look like this: What someone has or has not done EQUALS has purchased product at anytime AND Location EQUALS in the EU.
6. Save the segment, open the flow you'd like to add your exclusion segment to, and click the trigger settings or flow filters option.
Refer to your email platform for specific instructions on how to adjust trigger or filter criteria.
7. Find and select the User is or is not in a list or segment condition, set it to is not, and select the exclusion segment that you created.
Save your changes.