Set up custom audiences on LinkedIn
1. Create a new spreadsheet to use as a mastersheet for Matched Audiences and add the columns Audience Name, Source, Update Method, Update Frequency, Update Responsibility, and Notes.
2. Add all audiences you wish to target using custom audiences under the Audience Name column.
Some examples include: Website Visitors 7-Days. Website Visitors – 30 Days. Website Visitors – 180 Days. Email Subscribers. One-time Customers. Repeat Customers. Active Leads. Unsubscribed Users. Email Openers. Facebook Ad Clickers.
3. Create a list of all prospects and customer data files you want to match on LinkedIn and add them under the Source column.
Enter the name of the data source for each type of audience from one of the following sources: Website. Customer List. App Activity. Offline Activity. LinkedIn. For example, the source for all website visitors would be Website whereas the source for Organization Page Visitors would be LinkedIn, or the source for Email Openers would be Customer List.
4. Specify whether each audience will be automatically or manually updated under the Update Method column.
For example, audiences tracked using the LinkedIn Insight Tag would qualify as Automatic, whereas the Update Method information that needs to be manually updated, like customer lists, would be Manual.
5. Add the Update Frequency and Update Responsibility for each manually updated audience type.
For example, audiences can be updated manually Weekly, every Wednesday, or Monthly – 3rd of every month. Assign responsibility for each audience type to a person on your marketing operations team so that they can update this information at the determined frequency.
6. Add any special instructions or information you want to centralize or share with your team under the Notes column.
This information could include campaign manager account details, LinkedIN Insight Tag ID, or ad account details.
7. Login to LinkedIn Campaign Manager, select the Campaign Manager account you want to add your custom audiences to, click Account Assets on the top navigation bar, select Matched Audiences, and fill out the details based on your spreadsheet to create a Matched Audience for each audience on your spreadsheet.
For Source = Website audiences using the LinkedIn Insight tag: Enter the name of your audience as it appears in your spreadsheet. If this audience relates to a particular page, such as your pricing page, then enter the URL in the field Match a URL that… If this audience is for all website visitors, then add your domain name. Click Create. For Source = Customer list audiences: Enter the name of your audience as it appears in your spreadsheet. Click on Select List to upload your customer or subscriber list. Click Upload.