Optimize homepage transactional menu
1. If your site features a wide selection of products, use mega menus to allow users to easily see groupings of categories and subcategories directly from your homepage.
Add and configure the Max Mega Menu plugin if your site is built using WordPress or ask your web developer to add them if you use another platform or aren’t technically inclined. Add products directly to the transactional menu if your site only features a small selection of products.
2. Limit dropdown menus to a maximum of three levels to avoid overwhelming users.
Add a See more, See all, or View all link for parent categories with more than three subcategory levels.
3. Ensure all parent categories are clickable links that lead to category landing pages.
4. Add subcategories to all relevant parent categories to create a seamless search process for users.
For example, the subcategory Coffee tables could be listed under the parent categories Tables and Living room. Remember that it’s not about where you think a subcategory belongs, but where users think a subcategory belongs.
5. Display parent categories as homepage content to make it easier for users to browse products.
For example, if you sell pet supplies, list the main animal categories as homepage transactional menu content.
6. Highlight the default site scope when displaying a personalized homepage to make users aware that the page is personalized.
For example, if your clothing site automatically defaults to women’s clothing for certain users, but you also sell other types of clothing, highlight the Women’s tab or category in the homepage transactional menu to help users understand where they are and navigate your site.
7. Avoid using vague or specialized product categories that can confuse first-time visitors.
Use auto drop down menus to show users what’s inside the category. This provides a quick grasp of what a category contains if you need to use specialized product categories.
8. Add inline descriptions, tooltips, or explainer articles with additional information and resources alongside specialty or jargon-heavy categories to increase clarity.
Help users understand what the categories include in the most efficient ways possible to increase conversions among new users and users who aren’t sure what they’re looking for.
9. Highlight popular, suggested, and featured categories in your homepage transactional menu to speed up the search journey.
For example, adding categories like Top sellers, Sales, and New arrivals adds dimensions to your site and caters to both exploratory users and those browsing for unknown products.