Create an Instagram stories video advert
1. Write down the goal or what you hope to achieve with the video ad, such as a specific number of sales.
One video should equal one goal, so you need to be clear on the one thing that you are focusing on. For example, advertising an event, or selling a pair of shoes.
2. Select your target audience for your Instagram stories video ad based on your buyer persona research.
In a later step you’ll be able to target it at them specifically, so you need to know who they are to create an ad that will speak to them. For example: young professionals 25-45 years old, living in London, who love literature; or men over the age of 60, living in English-speaking countries, who have a passion for gardening.
3. Use software like Canva that can help you to create a video in the correct format for Instagram stories.
Canva has a specific Instagram Story Ad format with templates to save you time.
4. After creating a new design with the Instagram Story Ad format, build your ad using one of Canva’s templates.
Search through Canva’s templates to find the right one for your company and your target audience. In the left hand column type a word relevant to your business. For example: “corporate” or “art” or “fashion”. Look through the templates and select one with a play button in the upper left hand side. This indicates that it’s a video. You will be able to change the footage, text and colors in the next steps.
5. Replace the text in the image with a new caption that reflects your video ad strategy.
Keep the text short – under 8 words – and informative, as viewers will only see your story briefly.
6. Replace the template’s font and colours with those of your brand.
You can obtain these in your company’s brand assets.
7. Replace the video with your footage or stock footage.
Choose attention grabbing footage, as viewers will only see your video for a few seconds. To upload your footage to Canva, click on Uploads > Upload an Image or Video. Select a video of your product or service from your files. Once it’s uploaded, slide it on to your design for the video to swap. Alternatively, choose a video from Canva’s library. Click on Videos in the left-hand column and type a keyword relevant to your business. Hover your mouse over the video results for a preview. Slide them across to your design when you’ve made a choice. Adjust your text’s position if needed by clicking and dragging it across your design.
8. Download your video by clicking the Download button in the upper right of the screen.
9. Create an advert on Facebook Ads Manager.
You will need a Business Instagram account. Go to Facebook Ads Manager and click Create Ad. Select a campaign objective, then click Continue and give your campaign a name. Click on New Ad Set to add your budget, the dates for which the advert will run, and your target audience. In the Placement section, select Manual placements. Scroll down and untick everything except for Instagram Stories for the ad to only be shown there. Click Next. You’ll see the New ad section where you can upload the video you created in Canva, add text, and set a link for where you want to direct your audience. For example, a landing page where they can purchase your product. Click Publish when you are ready to launch the ad.