Build segments in Google Analytics
1. Identify the segment you want to build and decide what subset of data you want to analyze.
A good place to start is by asking questions about the data. For example, How do users who have a high probability of converting behave or engage with the site? – to answer this question, build a segment of Users who have a clear intent to buy.
2. Define the conditions for your segment in terms of Google Analytics dimensions and metrics.
Users who have a clear intent to buy could be users who have added items to their wishlist, but not completed a transaction. To see this, set up a goal to track the engagement Add to Wishlist.
3. Navigate to a report view, such as Audience > Overview, and click on + Add Segment.
4. Create a custom segment by clicking +New Segment > All Users - the segment that Google Analytics uses by default.
You will also see that there are a set of pre-built segments available.
5. Name the segment by describing the filtering rule used or by describing the audience that is represented.
For example, Users with no transactions who added items to wishlist or Users with clear intent to buy.
6. Go to the Advanced > Conditions set of filters to define the filtering rules.
To define Users with a clear intent to buy as users who have added items to their wishlist, but not yet completed a purchase: Select Transactions as the dimension and then set the filter to exclude Users who have completed one or more Transactions. Add another filter using the + Add Filter button. Select Add to Wishlist goal completions as the dimension and then set the filter to include Users who have completed one or more Add to Wishlist Goals.