Set up a high level dashboard in GDS
1. Create the connections to the data sources that you'll need for reports by clicking on Create > Data Source on the GDS main page.
There are Google Connectors, which are connections built and supported by Data Studio, and Partner Connectors, connectors built and supported by Data Studio partners. You can also build custom connectors if you have Google Apps Script knowledge.
2. Explore all the fields after you connect the data source and check that they have the correct type and aggregations settings.
You can use the Explore feature to play with the data. Ensure that the connection you created contains what you need for the dashboard.
3. Click on the default field name at the top left, and enter a descriptive name that is easy to identify and use in the dashboard.
For example, if in the data source we have a field called conversions, we can rename it to purchases. You should name the fields so that most of the people who will review the reports will understand what they mean.
4. Create the new dashboard by clicking on Create > Report on the GDS main page.
5. Connect the new dashboard to the data source by clicking on Add Data > My data sources and selecting the one you created on the first step of this playbook.
6. Add filters by clicking on Add a control at the top menu.
You can include a date filter, a checkbox to pick some or all available values for a field, a slider to select a range of values from a numeric field, and an input box to include all the values that start, contains, or are equal to the text you write. The filters allow the final user to dig into the data and find the answers they need for a particular business question.