Optimize shipping & billing
1. Itemize and clearly display product prices, taxes, estimated shipping costs, and discounts in shopping carts.
Display these costs in the first steps of the shopping process, to avoid cart abandonment.
2. Use a plugin like Estimated Delivery Date for WooCommerce to display a clear list of your different shipping options, their prices, and estimated delivery dates.
Offer customers a variety of delivery options, such as next day, overnight, expedited, or standard delivery. Include the price and estimated delivery date beside each option. Be sure to include in-store pickup on the list if you offer it. Ask your web developer to implement this feature if you’re not sure how to configure WooCommerce plugins, or use a different platform.
3. Use highlights or contrasting colors to clearly indicate available shipping methods and eliminate confusion.
Make it easy for customers to understand what shipping options are available for their particular location or chosen products to prevent unnecessary frustration and lower cart abandonment rates.
4. Offer free shipping whenever possible or free shipping on orders over a specific amount.
If free shipping is restrictive to your business, consider offering it on orders over a certain amount. For example, offer free shipping on all orders over $50. When done properly, this can incentivize customers to spend more.
5. Ask customers for their shipping address before their billing address.
A shipping address is psychologically more distant from customers’ money, so they’ll be more willing and quicker to fill it out.
6. Use a checkbox that allows customers to use the same address for both shipping and billing and check it by default.
7. Use and display third-party payment gateways like PayPal, Pay by Amazon, and Apple Pay, especially on mobile sites.
This will prevent customers from having to fill out different forms and make the overall purchase experience more convenient. Most payment gateways have plugins or instructions on how to add them to your site, but reach out to your web developer if you’re not sure how to implement them.