Optimize high-ranking keywords that drive few or no clicks
1. Find your site's URLs that drive few or no clicks from search results using Google Search Console.
Log in to your GSC dashboard and click through to the Performance section. Click the Pages tab. Sort results by Clicks to surface pages that drive no clicks.
2. Let Jet Octopus SEO crawler tool, crawl your entire site.
Jet Octopus is an online SEO crawler that can process thousands of URLs without slowing your computer down. The tool also integrates with GSC, allowing you to blend its data with your site structure and trends. Set Jet Octopus to crawl your site, and connect it to your GSC account in the process. You should be able to access your blended data the same day. It may take about 24 hours for extremely large sites, those more than 100K pages. Click the GSC Keywords tab. Under Data tables, you can locate some useful reports like the Cannibalization section; pages fighting to rank for the same search queries, New pages; URLs recently found in GSC reports, and Zero click pages; pages that appear in search results but don’t drive any clicks.
3. Analyze the Zero click pages on Jet Octopus to determine ranking effectivity and average position.
Start by looking at the Queries count. That is the number of times Google has returned your page. Look for low performing pages. These are those with a high query count and yet poor click through. Evaluate your true average position; If your average position is 30, and there are only 5 search queries, you know that it likely ranks on page 2 or 3 for all of those. If your average position is 30, but the page ranks for 90 queries, some of those may be on page 1.
4. Avoid taking action or consider deleting a page that is not bringing in any search traffic, and keeps losing positions according to your Zero click pages analysis on Jet Octopus.
5. Look at pages that are gaining in rankings, yet delivering zero clicks, to identify their current search queries.
Look closely at that page, its current search queries, and see if you need to expand and improve the copy to accelerate its growth and finally generate clicks.
6. Blend GSC data with your recent crawl to locate Zero click pages with no internal links.
Click the In Links option, then change the filter to URL is NOT present in In Links. Click Apply, and you have a list of pages that have no internal links and send zero clicks from search.
7. Remove or make changes to Zero click pages with no internal links.
In many cases, Zero click pages with no internal links can be removed, since they have no clicks and send no traffic, chances are, they’re useless. In some cases, those pages are an easy fix. Send them some internal links, such as from your menu, and you’ll see their organic traffic grow. You can export your zero-click queries to monitor them in your rank tracking solution.