Create a new Google Ads campaign
1. Use the Google Keyword Planner to find keywords with a focus on the product and landing page, and download the keywords you found to a spreadsheet.
For example, if the ad is to boost an online wine store, wine store online and buy wine online can be relevant keywords.
2. Go to your Google Ads account and click on the + NEW CAMPAIGN button, to create a new ad campaign.
3. Select campaign objectives based on client requirements.
Campaign objectives can be brand awareness, generating sales, leads, or web traffic, or anything else. For example, if a client wants to sell wine online and needs a search campaign to increase sales, select sales as an objective.
4. Select campaign type such as search, shopping, display, and video, then save.
5. Set the campaign run date and schedule, and add information like target location, audience, daily budget for ads, and any campaign information that the client has provided.
6. Select a bidding strategy based on your goals and information relevant to your ad type, such as extensions, and click on Save and Continue.
For example, Maximize Conversions can be a sales goal. The other information will depend on the type of ad. For example, search ads can include extensions such as a call extension, where you can add your phone number so people can call you directly from the ad.
7. Name your ad groups and add relevant keywords from your Keyword Planner results to each ad group, with all three match types; broad match modifier, phrase match, and exact match.
Add at least 50-100 keywords minimum, per ad group, to increase conversions like clicks and sales. For example, if you sell beer & wine, you can 2 ad groups. Name one ad group Wine and the other Beer. Keywords such as wine store online will be added to the wine ad group and beer store online will be added to the beer ad group. Phrase match is designated with quotation marks, for example, “buy wine online”. Exact match is designated with square brackets, for example, [buy wine online]. Broad match modifier, or BMM, is designated with brackets (+buy +wine +online). Note that BMM keywords creation is being phased out by Google and will stop being available in July 2021.
8. For each ad group, write 3 extensive ads and 1 responsive ad, per landing page.
Multiple ads should be created so that Google can optimize them automatically and feature the best variation most often. Choose the landing page that matches the products and services being advertised. For example, enter the URL for your wine products page in the ads for the wine ad group.